QS 2021 by Subject: our university reaffirms its position in Humanities and Social Sciences
Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne continues to perform well in the latest QS rankings by subject, after a remarkable rise in 2020.
Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) has just published the 2021 edition of its QS World University Rankings by Subject, which features the world's top higher education institutions by subject area. For this 11th edition, the four selection criteria enabled more than 1,450 institutions to be included in the rankings, which are divided into 51 disciplines and 5 broad subject areas.
On a global level, Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne is gaining ground in Arts & Humanities (+1), one of the two broad subject areas in which it is ranked. Despite a slight drop in Social Sciences and Management (-8), the university has achieved its most significant rise in Law, moving from the 25th to the 20th position. Law therefore joins Classics & Ancient History (12th) among Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne’s subjects ranked in the global top 20. For the first time, our university has also been ranked in Social Policy and Administration (101st-120th).
Within the French university landscape, Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne remains the top university in seven disciplines, unchanged from 2020: Anthropology, Archaeology, Architecture, Development Studies, Geography, History and Law. Our university also holds its position as France's leading university in the field of Arts & Humanities and remains in the top 5 in Social Sciences and Management, moving down from the 3rd to the 4th place. This makes the university the third French institution with the highest number of fields of study ranked among the best in the world, with 11 disciplines in the top 100.
These new results testify to the attractiveness of Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne in France and around the world and reflect its position as a leading global institution in the field of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Global Rank by Subject
Arts & Humanities: #31 equally ranked (+1)
- Classics & Ancient History: #12 (+1)
- Archaeology: #25 (-9)
- Philosophy: #27 (+1)
- History: #33 (+1)
- Modern Languages: #67 equally ranked (#51-100 in 2020)
- Art & Design: #101-150 (=)
- Architecture: #151-200 (=)
Social Sciences and Management: #62 (-8)
- Law and Legal Studies: #20 (+5)
- Development Studies: #37 equally ranked (-9)
- Economics and Econometrics: #80 (#51-100 in 2020)
- Anthropology: #51-100 (=)
- Politics: #51-100 (=)
- Social Policy & Administration: #101-120 (not ranked in 2020)
- Accounting and Finance: #101-150 (=)
- Business & Management Studies: #151-200 (#101-150 in 2020)
- Geography: #35 equally ranked (-2)
- Mathematics: #401-450 (#451-500 in 2020)
Engineering and Technology
- Computer Science and Information Systems: #351-400 (=)